Wednesday, October 22, 2008

hard to resist invitations

Invites – I find them hard to get out I’ve realized. K is turning 6 next month and the date for her party is going to be the first day of that month! Ahhhhh only a week and a bit away. It has taken me awhile to get round to doing the invites. Partly because I feel nervous about having the party in a new place and with a whole lot of new peeps.
I think I’m lacking a bit of confidence even though I absolutely love parties and planning for them. I often say that we need any reason to have a celebration, whether with a few friends or a load. K is allowed to invite 5 to her party and that was a mammoth task. The names often changed up to the day of giving them out. I’m going to have an early party myself this year. We head away to London end of Nov and my birthday is nearer to Christmas. I remind myself that I want to have a party but it’s harder to get those invites out. I think I could pull the pin and not do it. But I kind of know that entertaining and having people enjoy themselves at my place, is very important to me. ‘Ahhhh I’m doing this on my own’ and ‘what if no-one wants to come?’ and ‘what will we do?’, are all q I am asking myself. Anyway once the invites are out – hope to do that this weekend, I’ll have to do it.
The last party I planned for myself was going to be amazing. But it turned out to be the most disasterous time of my life. Things with d had exploded, literally, and having a party thrown by me, for me wasn’t going to be possible. Actually d encouraged me too, at that time he was still in this marriage for the long haul. Good on him. A few girls and I went out for coffee and cake but it wasn’t the original plan.
Part of this whole party thing is reminding me of that particular time. Same time last year. But this year we are getting as far away from the memories as possible – London. Good move I’m thinking. I am so grateful to my family for this opportunity for the girls and i.
Over and above all this feeling of ahhhhhhh, I know in my heart and head that having a party, celebrating the memories of this year, with delicious friends (mostly new) who have prayed, given, loved and cheered me on, is a fab thing to do (long sentence sorry). Apart from deciding what to wear, no matter even what we eat, the path is obvious. Celebrate – look back on how far you’ve come, and look forward to great things around the corner. I’ve just talked myself into that party I think.
Today L said some great things. We rode our mobiles (me walking) to the local great park and had an ice cream there. L chose boysenberry but asked for poisonberry, as she thought it was pronounced that way. As we were eating them, I commented that I could see a peacock with it’s feathers out. She remarked that peacocks do lots of wees. What? She then told K and I that wees was the same as pee. The boys at preschool talk like that, she said. He he. Then she finished by saying she thought boys ate Boysenberry icecream. I liked her thinking about words.
Back to invites: God’s invitation is quite clear and he never has to think about whether he will write it or not. Come to me all who are thirsty and I will give you something to drink. He is so great. He is so not worried about inviting and it’s open to all, not just 5. I love your invite God.
Above are some flowers of colour that I adore, of flowers that have lifted my heart as I’ve walked. Only a few, but goodies. Don’t you love spring?

No comments: