Saturday, October 11, 2008



Some of the weird (or perhaps even amazing) thoughts that have passed through my head and cool things that I have witnessed over the last few days:
I am amazed at how a tickle monster can lie on a bed and have so much fun with children. I am that very monster sometimes and it seems to be such a great and rough way to hang out with the girls. They love it, constantly come back for more and seem disappointed when it ends!
Simple acts of kindness – inviting someone to t, even if it’s eggs on toast, is a great thing to do. I feel very grateful for those invitations. They often come when I really need them.
What about this? A simple rule for parenting good eaters: We have at least one mouthful of everything on our plate (that rule is mainly focused on the new things we are trying, so at least they are tried!). K has developed her palette since we’ve started this: asparagus was asked for in the supermarket the other day, much to my delight! Roast capsicum and the Mango. I heard that Ian Grant suggests that at some age the children can have a list of 5 things on the fridge that they don’t like and then the rest has to be eaten, cool idea!
Treats aren’t treats anymore?! A friend said this to me, being convicted of the amount of chocie and chippies she was eating. It doesn’t seem to be as much of a treat nowadays, especially with our own children. It’s kind of normal, it’s so cheap and that has really challenged me. I am hopeful I’ll do something about it.
Beatrix potter and Paddington Bear. I am loving to find classics that are enjoyed still, to read with the girls. We even borrowed Paddington from a friend on dvd. Oh my goodness, it’s even on dvd! I am grateful for my friends who share their advice and great parenting tools, even books. Love it.
A delicious far away friend sent us some wafers and instant pudding. What a cool parcel to receive with a recipe of what to do with them. Thank you my friend , you are so much fun and so thoughtful.
Prayer. The other night was a most disasterous one on my scale of disasters. K said it was the worst of all the worst days and that it had hit her top of the list! I agreed with her. After having several battles with her to get to sleep, on our holiday, which took over an hour, I thought all was lost and I felt completely numb and useless as a dear mummy. My friends prayed with me, maybe even cried with me after she seemed finally tucked up for the night. It was wonderful and completely calmed my heart down. One prayed that overnight there would be a change in her spirit. No sooner was that prayer prayed, that darling 5 year old came in and told me she was very very very sorry.
God you are amazing and sometimes it is only you that can give peace, no matter how hard I try to make it myself. May I look to you more and more instead of being the control freak that I am. Glory to you, King of my heart.

1 comment:

caz said...

So glad you got the goodies...did you try out the pudding??