Thursday, September 10, 2009

battleships of the mind

I've always encouraged parents of children i've taught, to take teachable moments when their child's hearts are quiet-ish! eg moments when they are in bed ready for sleep but still awake enough to converse!
tonight we had been playing battleships, d had rung in the middle, grandma was leaving and it was rather chaotic. And then a moment came:
Me: what did you talk to d about on the phone?
L: i asked him why he chose not to live with us
Me: OK .... and?
L: i can't remember ........
he he
Me: what else are you thinking about L?
L: about how i don't really like myself
Me: tell me about that ..,... (screaming "whattttt" in my head)
L: well my body is always feeling sick, even when you don't believe me, so i just hate my body
Me: apology for not believing her
L: and my mind often tells me to do naughty things and i don't like it (pointing all over her face to indicate what she had just said)
so we talk about telling her mind to not say those things, in Jesus name
Me: what sort of things does your mind tell you to do, that are naughty?

L: to chop my hair off (done the other day)
to push all the books in on the shelf so that you'll have to pull them out (done quite regularly)
to close the window and then to lie about who did it

the list went on with about 8 really great confessions. I loved it, so much. What great honesty. And with that, came this sincere and honest kind of thought - "i don't want to be like that, to be obedient to the naughty thoughts."
so i encouraged her and told her i thought she was way more special than she was naughty! So true. what a delicious bubble of joy that girl is to me.
I am always glad, when the moment arises and when i take it, to have a glimpse into their minds. Hers is alive and composed and open to her God.
L is also brilliant at battleships, at the ripe age of 5!

PS sorry no photos, haven't taken many recently.

No comments: