Monday, May 11, 2009

The chat of all chats

I never thought this chat would ever happen. I had fantacised about it, mostly (funnly enough) that my first move would be to shake his hand. Weird, so formal of me and if I look back I wouldn’t have done that.
It was after a rather emotional weekend of lonliness and deep sadness. It was a walk that turned miserable as it was pouring, I was texting some friends to do dinner with me and that was an organizational nightmare, plus when I arrived at the new ‘fresh’ supermarket to check it out, I was soaked and looking rather ragged. And then I saw him. The guy that had been kind at the cafĂ©, the one that I had thought “oh he looks nice”. I didn’t know what to do, so I kept walking into the supermarket, forgetting what I was there for but making no eye contact with anyone apart from the bananas. Next thing, I stopped. He was right beside me with his workmate, wanting to meet. It was a freaky surprise.
Hi, he said
Hi, I said, I’m Sarah, shaking their hands as they introduced themselves. Next time no shaking of hands. I am a natural conversationalist (sometimes to my demise!) so the conversation started:
Work, family, what I was doing here in palmy (after they asked), what they did in palmy, some interesting conversation re marriage break-ups (quite deep for a first conversation), good coffee and me ending by saying I’d better go and get my ‘free coffee’.
It was so nice. I’d love for it to happen again. Mostly because it made me feel so darn special and lovely. He was a mature (intellectual, good conversationalist, showed some compassion for loss of his friend and myself) and great looking guy. It was a gesture that surprised me beyond my wildest dreams – I don’t think I’ve had a guy come up to me before and be friendly, no demands or crazy whisperings in my ear, just general getting to know-ya kind of talk.
I felt like a million dollars. Is it OK for me to blog about this? I find it hard to know but it’s in my head and I need to get this kind of stuff out of my head and onto paper for me to see more clearly. Will people think I’m naughty for having these thoughts or having had this conversation? I don’t know and it probably doesn’t matter.
What is going on here is simple: me feeling special and of some value. What needs to go on in me from here: I think a continual acknowledgement that I want my heart to be stirred by a noble theme (Ps 45), whether I saw this person ever again or not.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Yes, its okay. Your heart is still alive, underneath all the rubble. How nice to know. You are one hot mamma by the way! 'Specially ragged and dripping! I am sorry to hear the week was yuck - lets talk on the phone. Love you xx