Monday, June 6, 2011

Reflecting

I made a comment recently about how our children can be reflections of ourselves - like a mirror pointing something back at us, something to adjust or something to be glad of.
I think even when i was teaching with none of my own children, the pupils were my reflection at times. 



My babes started playing hockey - just like their mum used to.  I'm gladly suspecting they will far outdo my capabilities on the hockey field. At present they are mostly enjoying wearing the mouth guards and carrying around a long weapon!



They are also focusing on 'sticks down' and 'following the ball', once they have hit it with the right side of their stick.  They are getting better and better, as I cheer them on and encourage them.

I can see myself in them as they struggle to have energy for the end of the game.  Chasing the ball becomes more of a struggle than choosing to stay put and watch it cruise down the field.  BUT they are persevering.  The only goal i got in Primary hockey was a goal for the other team, i'm hesitant to announce.  Fortunately as an adult, i got the opportunity to play at Sportscamp (where i was the token 'darts player or mini-golf hopeful, maybe cheerleader?) where i, yes me, scored the winning goal in our hockey final.  Boy that was healing and confirming that i wasn't quite as useless at the sports thing as I had assumed!  I think the same camp i helped win the ladies bowls.  What a legend!





So the Mirror here is just to remind me to help the girls with strategy and to encourage them to do their best and not give up. They seem to be at an age where they respond well to that, thankfully.
When i think about my own sporting background i can laugh and be fine with it all.  It's not my gifting but it's something i can always have a go at.  With my babes, I'm so glad they are doing the hockey thing - they may love it so much that they do it for life. They may not, but it's these experiences that will tend to make their life richer for the effort and attitude and skill they put in and reap the reward of.


Oh bless!

No comments: