Monday, June 13, 2011

stuck in the boot

After breaking heaps of things lately (the actual whole car, my ghd's - ah precious, cell phone dying and other helpful things like that!) i found myself locked out of my car yesterday.  
This felt like the final straw of a few breaking weeks. 


If you can picture the boot open, of my new finesse green car (not a station wagon but enough room for a few good sized suitcases) - yes new because the old black subaru's head g blew...... keep imagining - me climbing my whole body into that suitcase fitting boot, with swear words on the tip of my tongue, and tears nearly melting on my face.  My girls were nearby (after one had closed the door innocently leaving my purse with everything in it, stuck inside) so it wasn't time to let those swear words fly around freely.   It had turned from a sunny day to an icy cold massey university moment, and i found myself in the boot of the car trying to shimmy open anything that would budge.  I was in the foetal position hoping that the helpful people walking by might just close the boot and let have some time out.


Nothing worked which doesn't surprise me as i'm not really the best technical person in these kinds of moments so alas i had to climb out (which was an embarrassing moment in itself).  I could feel my world caving as i wondered what to do - ah yes i am a lifetime member of AA so i knew they would come if i could call them, yip phone in car wasn't helping me with that.


Crunchtime had been coming for a bit. I'd been feeling a bit tender. some things were feeling a bit big - things breaking around me was having  an affect i think.  Most of the time i do pretty well,  but sometimes when I'm on my own, seemingly small things seem rather bigger. 


Longish story cut short - i was waiting in the rainy local conditions for only a short time when my friend Shelley drove from the meeting she should have been in, to come and wait with me.  I had just been pacing to keep warm while the girls were scootering around on wheels to keep warm and beautiful Shell turned up.  She knew if it was her, she would have been crying.  She turned up as my face was melting, just as I had been saying to God, "Feeling a bit alone right now and feeling rather agro about the flippin big butt in boot situation".  And then He turns up, through her.  


Love that.  I laugh now as i remember wanting to use expletives, being frustrated about a simple mistake.  Shelleys simple gesture of coming to be with me was just what i needed and so beautiful.  What a pal, what a thoughtful woman. Grac-ious Shelley you beautiful wahine. Truthfully i had been needing to cry about everything breaking, for quite a few weeks now i think.  And this experience, however unimportant it seems, was a moment to go - ah breathe, cry, whatever, let it out Sarah Julie.  And I did.  I felt so much better. 


There is happily no photo to go with this post as prob not a gorgeous shot seeing me in the foetal position in my car boot.  Let us be glad xx

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I remember of year or so ago I had a similar experience...the key broke in half, it was pouring with rain and I didn't know what to do!! Felt alone too! Yay for your friend!!

Amy said...

Oh poos. I wanted to see you in the boot. Sorry sorry for breaking things in your world. Sometimes little bits of our hearts crumble too. Glad you had someone there who caught you as you let it flow. Love you my precious friend. Hope the coming week is rich in good things that are mended, whole and strong :)