Sunday, March 29, 2009

the candlelabra



Not sure if that's how it's spelt, but we have one of sorts.
I got it in London for 7 pounds down from 25 and it was a beauty. Sadly it came home slightly wonky and i've tried hard with my strong arms, to bend it back, but it remains a little wonky. a bit like me?
D's mum and step dad are in the country for a few months. For some reason, i just feel really invaded. I haven't even seen them, but i happen to be lucky enough to receive their regular 'updates' and that prob heightens my anxiousness. I feel overwhelmed at their pending presence. and it feels jolly silly. They are lovely folks. Nice and cheery. They haven't left me, but not being in contact with them or part of their current world, is a loss. I say i don't care but I do care that they get to do life with my babies for the next few months.
As i was contemplating that over dinner tonight (spaghetti on toast and banana yoghurt of all things!), i knew i needed to do something to help myself. So i asked the girls what they thought their God would be saying to them a year on (from last time we did this) or where he would be standing for them, or what he would be doing. They pondered for a few moments and k said "I know! He says when your daddy's not here, I am your daddy. It's a bit silly but......" No that was not silly I explained, that was something that is even written in the bible. She talked a bit about the boy in her class who has no daddy at all. She was finding compassion for him even. L said God was standing infront of us.
As we were talking i was glad we were where we were - letting our feelings out and reminding ourselves who God is. So next i introduced the candellabra (?) with the new candles we had bought for it today. As i lit the candles (daylight shining through the windows still) I explained that we were going to use it to help us pray today. i needed to explain that we weren't going to pray about the weather but about Daddy and our feelings etc. I started, praying quickly at each candle by pointing. sounds religious but it was way more of a 'helpful' aid in praying, that would hopefully remind them of it in the future. Then k prayed: "Bring daddy here Lord, Bless the family we had lunch with today and ............ (she kept mostly to topic!). L prayed, in her 'all-over-the-place' fashion, that God would heal daddy where he might be hurt, that he would not go to work anymore (so he could move to us - d has told them that he can't live with us as he has to work in the city!) and that God would help us light good fires this year and grow good veges.
I felt much better. The girls enjoyed themselves and strengthened me in their own journeying.
A good ending to the day. now off to make some salad as i hate spaghetti on toast!

No comments: